Nelson McCoy Pottery Co. 1910 - 1990 Roseville, Ohio McCoy pottery was made in Roseville, Ohio. Nelson McCoy and J.W. McCoy established the Nelson McCoy Sanitary and Stoneware Company in Roseville, Ohio, in 1910. The firm made art pottery after 1926. In 1933 it became the Nelson McCoy Pottery Company. Pieces marked McCoy were made by the Nelson McCoy Pottery Company. Cookie jars were made from about 1940 until December 1990, when the McCoy factory closed. www.mccoypottery.com
Hull Pottery 1905 - 1986 Crooksville, Ohio Hull pottery was made in Crooksville, Ohio, from 1905. Addis E. Hull bought the Acme Pottery Company and started making ceramic wares. In 1917, A. E. Hull Pottery began making art pottery as well as the commercial wares. For a short time, 1921 to 1929, the firm also sold pottery imported from Europe. The dinnerwares of the 1940s (including the Little Red Riding Hood line), the high gloss artwares of the 1950s, and the matte wares of the 1940s, are all popular with collectors. The firm officially closed in March 1986.
Haeger Potteries 1852 - 2016 Kane County, Illinois Haeger Potteries, Inc., Dundee, Illinois, started making commercial artwares in 1914. Early pieces were marked with the name Haeger written over an H. About 1938, the mark Royal Haeger was used in honor of Royal Hickman, a designer at the factory. The firm closed in 2016.
Van Briggle 1899-current Colorado Springs, Colorado Van Briggle Pottery was started by Artus Van Briggle in Colorado Springs, Colorado, after 1901. Van Briggle had been a decorator at Rookwood Pottery of Cincinnati, Ohio. He died in 1904 and his wife took over managing the pottery. One of the employees, Kenneth Stevenson, took over the company in 1969. He died in 1990 and his wife, Bertha, and son, Craig, ran the pottery. She died in 2010. Craig, who is the chief designer, continues to run the pottery. Some of the old pieces are still being made and new designs are also being made. The wares usually have modeled relief decorations and a soft, matte glaze.
Roseville Pottery 1890 - 1953 Roseville, Ohio Roseville Pottery Company was organized in Roseville, Ohio, in 1890. Another plant was opened in Zanesville, Ohio, in 1898. Many types of pottery were made until 1954. Early wares include Sgraffito, Olympic, and Rozane. The Rozane line was Roseville's first line of handmade art pottery and was marked Rozane. Later lines were often made with molded decorations, especially flowers and fruit. Most pieces are marked Roseville. Many reproductions made in China have been offered for sale the past few years.
J. A. Bauer Pottery 1885 - 1962 Paducah, Kentucky Bauer pottery is a California-made ware. J.A. Bauer bought the Paducah Pottery in Paducah, Kentucky, in 1885. He moved the pottery to Los Angeles, California, in 1909. The company made art pottery after 1912 and dinnerware marked Bauer in 1930. A line of Bauer solid color dinnerware, called "Plain Ware," was the first solid-color American dinnerware. The factory went out of business in 1962.
Shawnee Pottery 1937 - 1961 Zanesville, Ohio Shawnee Pottery was started in Zanesville, Ohio, in 1937. The company made vases, novelty ware, flowerpots, planters, lamps, and cookie jars. Three dinnerware lines were made: Corn, Lobster Ware, and Valencia (a solid color line). White Corn pattern utility pieces were made in 1945. Corn King was made from 1946 to 1954; Corn Queen, with darker green leaves and lighter colored corn, from 1954 to 1961. The Corn King and Corn Queen lines of dinner plates, teapots, and salt and pepper sets were molded and colored to resemble ears of corn, with kernels of corn and leaves. Shawnee produced pottery for George Rumrill during the late 1930s. The company closed in 1961.
Franciscan 1875 - 1984 Los Angeles, California Franciscan is a trademark that appears on pottery. Gladding, McBean and Company started in 1875. The company grew and acquired other potteries. It made sewer pipes, floor tiles, dinnerwares, and art pottery with a variety of trademarks. The company made china and cream-colored, decorated earthenware. Desert Rose, Apple, El Patio, and Coronado were best-sellers. In 1936, the name used in advertisements and marks was changed from Franciscan Pottery to Franciscan Ware. The company became Interpace Corporation and in 1979 was purchased by Josiah Wedgwood & Sons. The plant was closed in 1984 but a few of the patterns are still being made.